Total Pageviews

Sunday 23 September 2007

Sunday on the Southbank with Olivier




Who’d have thought that I’d bump into some of my favourite theatre actors, on my Sunday afternoon stroll on the Southbank! There I was, walking along, minding my business, when I noticed a crowd of people gathered outside the National Theatre. As I joined the crowd, which surrounded a covered blue plinth, I noticed Peter Bowles to my left. When I turned to my right, I saw Simon Callow, Nigel Harman and David Bradley. Then an entourage of familiar faces proceeded towards the gathering press, which included Richard Attenborough, Anna Carteret, Edward Petherbridge, Maggie Smith, Joan Plowright and Eileen Atkins, to name but a few.

I then remembered reading about ‘A Celebratory Performance’ on the Centenary of Laurence Olivier at the National theatre, with tickets priced at £250! To coincide with the celebration was the installation outside the National of a new statue of Olivier as Hamlet, created by the sculptor Angela Conner and funded by private subscription.

From now on, every time I pass the Statue, I shall remember this day with great joy.

No comments: